July 30, 2010

Fresh Cherry Pie Filling


Get your fresh cherries while they are in season and inexpensive! You can fill a delicious summer tart with this filling or you can can it. It is a satisfying treat to be able to open a jar of homemade cherry pie filling in the middle of winter. I canned 6 jars last year and used them all. I would chop up a few apples then open one of my canned cherry pie fillings and pour it over the apples and top the fruit with a crumb topping. This makes for a delicious comfort food on cold fall and winter evenings.

(Labels: If you like these adorable labels here is were I printed them for free: www.hp.com When you get to the hp web site you'll want to type the following into their search engine: vintage handcrafted product labels. I cut them out and used extra sturdy double stick tape to attach them to my jars.)

The following recipe fills one 1/2 quart jar (or one pie worth of filling).

2 cups fresh pitted cherries
1/2 cup water
1/4-1/2 cup raw cane sugar (my cherries were very sweet I used just 1/4 cup sugar)
2 tablespoons cornstarch

In a saucepan, cook cherries in water for 10 minutes. Mix together the sugar and cornstarch; add to cherries. Cook cherry mixture until thickened. Cool slightly before using to fill pie shell. If you are canning the filling you'll want to fill your sterile canning jars with the hot pie filling. Tightly seal your jars and place in a boiling water bath for 20 minutes. Remove from bath and cool completely. Enjoy!
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Kristin said...

I do love these labels Anna! I wondered where you found them and I need some for my jellies/jams. I used a tapioca recipe from a friend this year. Mmmm Cherry Pie Filling is a great addition the the pantry!