March 1, 2010

Creamy Tomato Soup


Only a few more weeks of winter. I need to fit in as many delicious warm soups as I can. This one is wonderful. I will definitely be canning this soup in the fall when we have an abundance of tomatoes ready for harvest.

Complements of: "Just 4 Kids"

2 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 red onion, minced
1 leek, chopped
1 garlic clove, crushed
2 carrots, peeled and diced
1 potato, peeled and diced
3 cups vegetable stock or organic chicken broth
2 pounds ripe tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped
1 tablespoon tomato paste
2/3 cup whole milk (or unsweetened soy milk)
salt and pepper to taste

Heat olive oil over medium heat and cook the onion, leek and garlic for 10 minutes or until very soft but not browned. Add the carrot and potato and cook for 2 more minutes. Add the stock (or broth) and bring to a boil. Add the tomatoes and tomato paste and season to taste with salt the pepper. Let simmer for 20-30 minutes. Add the milk. Transfer the soup to a blender or food processor and process until very smooth (I left mine a bit chunky, but next time I'll try "very smooth"). Return the soup to the rinsed-out pan and reheat gently. Garnish with snipped chives or fresh grated Parmesan, if desired. Enjoy!
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Kristin said...

I'd love to try this recipe because I LOVE Creamy Tomato Soup.. but the last time I made quarts of tomato soup and canned it, my family (and I included) did not like it at all. Are we just too used to the sugar in Cambpell's?