May 26, 2010

Fresh Raw Veggies


Here is something I have started to do to make sure my family gets plenty of organic, fresh, raw vegetables.

On my shopping day (when we aren't harvesting from our own garden) I pick up a variety of vegetables (including spinach and leafy lettuce). These vegetables are separate from what I have planned in my recipes for meals.

We try to do organic, but organic is not always affordable. We focus on local produce, but it is not always in season. During 1/2 of the year we love harvest the majority of our vegetables from our own garden, but this is not an option for everyone. Do what is best for your budget and family, but buy those veggies!

When I get home from shopping (or the following morning) or in from harvesting from our garden I take each vegetable and prepare them (wash (with veggie wash if non-organic), chop, peel, ect..) for one of the following: to be used on our daily lunch vegetable tray or to be added to our evening dinner salad. I store each prepared vegetable in individual plastic bags (the bags can be used over and over). If you have a problem using plastic bags I understand. Use what works best for you ;).

Be creative, use different vegetables each week or try new vegetables you don't usually get. Make it a habit to serve a raw vegetable tray with lunch and a raw salad with dinner.

Raw vegetables contain vitamins, minerals, phytochemicals like: carotenoids, lutein, lycopene, zeaxantin, flavonoids, antioxidans, isoflavones, indoles, saponins and proanthocyanidins (just to name a few of more than a thousand).

Have I convinced you to eat your plant chemicals that have protective or disease preventive properties and so many other benefits?

Even if you just plan for a few days a week. It is easy with them already prepared and ready to grab out of the refrigerator. Expose your children and be a positive example. Add some fruits during the day and you have your raw 5-A-Day :)!
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Kristin said...

I love this! I've done it before and need to do it again. For now, I've been just giving them a lot more fruits and veggies and salads. It's a great feeling to know that you're feeding your family healthy! I can't WAIT for my garden to be ready so my grocery bill can down! haha