May 2, 2010

Lentil Ricotta "Meatballs"

This were really good. I think next time I'll add a few Italian herbs. They become nice and crispy on the outside and soft (a bit mushy) on the inside. They go great with marinara sauce, but I just popped them in my mouth plain! They make a nice protein side dish or over noodles with sauce.

Complements: www.injennieskitchen.com

2 cups cooked lentils, pureed (bring 1 cup lentils and 2 cups water to a boil. cover and simmer on low until all water is absorbed (about 25 minutes) place them in a blender and puree)
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
2/3 cup plain breadcrumbs
1/2 cup fresh ricotta cheese (I just used the container ricotta cheese. I will have to find fresh somewhere)
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
salt and pepper, to taste
oil for frying

Add all ingredients to a deep bowl. Mix very well, using hands or a spoon. Cover and refrigerate for two hours or overnight.

When ready to cook, shape mixture into 1 1/2 inch balls. Heat about 1/2 inch of oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add shaped "meatballs" and cook until browned all around, turning once. (I had to really cook them well to cook them all the way through and to get a nice crunchy outside)Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate and let excess drain off. Add to simmering marinara sauce if serving immediately, or store in a tightly covered container up to three days. If you are storing them or have leftovers you can reheat them by putting them on a cookie sheet and placing them in a 350 degree oven for 10 minutes of until warmed throughout.

Note: I will add some Italian seasonings to my lentil "meatballs" next time! Enjoy!
Posted by Picasa

No comments: