June 27, 2010

Teff Peanut Butter Cookies

I adore teff flour! It is one of my favorites. Unfortunately it is not easy to bake with. Teff flour lacks the protein, gluten. Teff flour has a grainy texture and a denseness to it (both reasons I love it). My children and husband do not care for these slightly crumbly cookies. Although, I have been making them for the past 15 years and they are my special treat :). Teff flour is very high in both protein and iron.

Complements: I got this recipe from a whole foods cooking class, but I have also seen it on the back of a bag of teff flour from Bob's Red Mill

1 1/2 cups teff flour
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 cup maple syrup
1/2 cup oil
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup peanut butter

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Set aside an ungreased cookie sheet. In a large bowl combine dry ingredients, set aside. In a mixer blend syrup, oil, vanilla and peanut butter. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients; blend well. Shape dough into walnut size balls. Place on cookie sheet and flatten gently with the tines of a fork. Bake about 13-15 minutes. Cool completely on a wire rack. Yields about 24 cookies. Enjoy!
Posted by Picasa

No comments: