October 21, 2010

Gluten Free Vegan Magic Bars


These are another wonderful treat to add to your gluten free Christmas cookie platter. They also make a great guilt-free treat for everyone who finds them delicious. I encourage you to try them even if you can have gluten and aren't a vegan!

2 cups almond flour (I placed 2 cups of raw almonds in my magic bullet and made my own almond flour/meal)
2 tablespoons cane sugar
1/4 cup honey
3 tablespoons melted non-dairy butter substitute (like Earth Balance) - I just used real butter, but I do love Earth Balance as a spread
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1 cup coconut milk - (or any kind of milk would work great too)
1/4 cup honey
2 tablespoons cornstarch or arrowroot powder
2 cups dairy free chocolate chips (or whatever kind you prefer)
1/2 cup maraschino cherries, drained, patted dry and quartered (I used some frozen cherries I had from this last summer)
1 cup sliced or slivered almonds
1 cup sweetened flaked coconut

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9 inch by 12 inch baking dish with gluten-free non-stick cooking spray (or butter or olive oil). In a mixing bowl, mix the almond flour with the sugar, honey, butter and salt until well combined. Moisten hands with water and pat the mixture into the bottom of the prepared pan. (This will make a nice thin layer) In another mixing bowl, whisk together the coconut milk, honey and cornstarch (I heated it a little on the stove top until well blended, but only slightly warm). Pour over the almond crust. Sprinkle the chocolate chips, cherries, almonds and coconut evenly over the top. Gently press down. Bake for 30 - 35 minutes or until the almonds and coconut flakes are browned and toasty (I think mine took about 25 minutes). Let cool. I placed them in the refrigerator after they were cooled down. This made them easy to cut into squares. I also like to keep them in the refrigerator and take them out about an hour before serving. Enjoy!
Posted by Picasa

No comments: