July 14, 2009

Baking and Cooking Wheat-Free

Today you can buy many wonderful varieties of grains. If you can't eat wheat because of the gluten or any other reason there are a wide range of grains/flours you may be able to eat. A favorite alternative to wheat is often spelt.


Spelt: Many people who can't eat wheat gluten can handle spelt. Spelt has gluten, but different form of gluten. If cooking with spelt I just replace 1 cup of wheat flour (white or whole wheat) with 1 cup of spelt flour (white or whole spelt). It works perfectly and spelt is an amazing alternative.

Other wheat alternatives you will see me use on my blog are: brown rice, teff, buckwheat, corn, kamut, barley, rye, oats, millet or quinoa.

Check out my "baking and cooking with various flours" post or "baking and cooking with various grains" post.

Also, be sure to check out my recipes listed under my post "wheat-free".

I highly recommend all people to cook without wheat a few times a week. Are bodies will thank us!

No comments: